Thursday, June 7, 2012

Practicum(ing)!

So apparently I am terrible at this thing. I have been uber busy so I have been coming home from work, relaxing and going to bed. 
Work...yup, doing it. I started at AcV2 architecture last weekish for my practicum. I have to complete 280 hours to fulfill my practicum and so far I am maybe 1/4 finished? or so my boyfriend tells me. The last fees weeks we have been working on what feels like a zillion projects and are always busy but that is totally great! We have mostly residential, but a little commercial, which is kind of opposite of what they are use to. I have been doing so 3D modeling, picking some materials, going to client meetings, construction administration meetings, interior space planning, and exterior sketches. It is the full package that I know a lot of interns do not get and I am so thankful for Emily and Patri for letting me be part of it and seeing/explaining it.  I couldn't be happier with my choice of who to spend my summer practicum with. They are so close with each other that they may as well be family. Tonight I went to Patri's to have family with her, her husband, and her two very entertaining daughters, as well as Emily. It was so nice to have that when some I know barely speak to people they work with or know everyone they work with. As for the work in general compared to school/studio...so different. We are doing so many projects that if I had this in school dropping out would be a very good chance. They seem to be stressed but honestly they are so on top of things and so organized with what they do when and communicate it well with each other. I feel like time goes so quickly compared to school which is definitely nice. I don't mind working late just to get things done for them and to complete my practicum. I can't imagine how Patri can handle having a successful business, two little ladies, a husband, and a life, serious inspiration. 
Work atmosphere is relatively the same, maybe a little less stuffy and cranky. We joke, listen to music, and talk most of the time. It makes the time go faster...not to mention the 10am and 3pm snack time haha.
I've met sooo many people from material reps (Wiiill, say in britsh accent), contractors, subcontractors, architects, interior designers, construction companies, electricians, and of course the clients. 
I have also learned bad business and good business...(Ed, he is our Omaha trips Bob so it makes me laugh inside)  


If you want to see some of the things that they do...(maybe recommend them to someone ;) ;) ) their website is acv2architecture.com or you can like them on Facebook (hint hint) at AcV2 architecture. 
Some big deals here in Rapid City are the patio at Murpheys/ Rapid City Garage, Dakota Soda, The Vertex Sky Bar at Alex Johnson (coming soon!), Part's Central (across from the VFW) (which will also be LEED certified) (coming soon!) and so many more and MANNY more to come! 


Hope this all made sense, just wanted to fill my lovely people in on how this is going so I don't have to tell the same story 957 times over. Moral of the story: I am the best and get s*** done. end of story. period.


Classy lady below..Patri Acevedo-Riker-Owner/Architect aka best supervisor evverrrr! 
























Beautiful lady below...Emily Frost - Interior and Collateral Designer...aka best partner evverrr!
























* All photo's from AcV2 architecture. Represent.  

No comments:

Post a Comment